Brands Still Around Today.
Question: If you were to invest in one company and had to keep your money invested in that company for the next 50 years, what company would you pick?
That is essentially the question that I stumbled across on Reddit the other day, which got me thinking about consumer product companies that have been on grocers’ shelves for the past 100+ years. These are the survivors of trends, fads, world wars, and modernization, having changed little since brought to market.
Here’s my list:
1. Heinz. Founded by Henry John Heinz in 1869.
2. Melitta Coffee Filter Products. Invented in 1908, this company has survived 2 devastating World Wars. My hunch is that they will manage whatever comes at them. Lovely historical timeline here.
3. Clabber Girl Baking Powder, the Clabber Company. This home staple has been around since 1899. The girl on the front has changed little over the years. The last time she got an update was in 1940 – notice the highlights in her lovely coiffed hair?
4. Coca-Cola. Yup. Hard to leave that one out. Invented in 1866, the ad below is from 1887.
5. Washburn-Crosby Company, today known as General Mills. Established in 1877 and still going strong. Specifically, their Gold Medal Flour product.
What other historical brands grace your pantry shelves? Do share!