Mid-1800s Cape Cod Clam Chowder Recipe.
Whenever I make clam chowder, it always seems really involved. I love this recipe because you fry the salt pork, layer the ingredients, and then let it cook. Simple!
Note the absence of cream/milk.
- Salt pork (bacon or breakfast ham)
- Crackers (or Gluten free bread in my house)
- Sliced potatoes
- Sliced onions
- Salt as needed
Being a gluten free household, I used slices of GF bread crumbled up in the pot (see picture). I also added celery and carrots because I had some in the fridge.
Why layer the ingredients?
I thought that layering the ingredients was a waste of time because when the pot boils everything gets mixed together. Then a co-worker mentioned that it may be an alternative way to measure the ingredients. Otherwise I would have no idea how many potatoes, onions, etc. to add. Brilliant!
- Salt liberally (especially if not using crackers)
- Cook over medium high heat for 1 hour, 20 min.
- Use a potato masher to mix all the ingredients together.