Always looking for ways to re-purpose mashed potatoes…’Potato Puff Balls’ sounded so perfect, I just had to give this one a try. This recipe comes from a condensed pamphlet entitled 250 Ways of Serving Potatoes (Culinary Arts Institute, 1941) – containing everything from baked potatoes, to potato salad, to potato puff balls!
One note: Mashed potatoes are very heavy. Egg whites are light and fluffy. Folding one into the other is an exercise in futility. But one can still try…
- Use parchment paper on a cookie sheet instead of muffin tins.
- Use onion powder for stronger flavor.
- Mix in 1 cup of strong cheddar cheese, shredded.
- Liberally add fresh herbs to make stronger flavor.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
These were good fresh, but not so delicious re-heated – much like a day-old meringue. Kind of sticky and starchy flavored.