Source: Practical American Cookery and Domestic Economy, Hall, 1856.
This entertaining list of cures for common ails includes:
- Simple and Effectual Cure for Those Who May Have Accidentally Swallowed a Wasp
- Note that the instructions indicate the wasp is still alive
- To Remove Scurvy from the Teeth
- Red-hot steel rods and white wine vinegar – who knew?
- The Teething of Children
- Loose bowels and fresh air!
- Poison of Rattlesnakes
- Rattlesnake poison is a sedative, so a stimulant is required – brandy
- A Certain Cure for Cancer
- Thankfully, we’ve come a long ways!